Health and Other Benefits of Cucumber
Cucumber is one of the low calories vegetable and belongs to the gourd family which includes gourds, melons and squashes. It is one of the oldest and 4th most cultivated vegetable, believed to be originated from northern India. It does not contain saturated fat or cholesterol. It’s peel is a good source of dietary fiber that helps reduce constipation and offer protection against colon cancer by eliminating toxins from the guts. It is considered as one of the best food for overall health and also beneficial for skin, joints, liver and kidneys. It is also referred as super food that has an array of nutrients. Cucumber is often sprayed with pesticides during cultivation so it is important to buy organic or grow them yourself. Some of the benefits of cucumber are given here:
Health benefits of cucumber
1. Cucumber helps in keeping the body hydrated and regulating the body temperature as it contains about 95% water. It also helps in flushing out the toxins from the body.
2. Cucumber is rich in vitamin A, B1, B6, C and D, calcium, magnesium and potassium. It fulfills the most of the vitamin need of the body in a day. Cucumber and carrot juice can relieve gout and arthritis pain by lowering uric acid in the body.
3. Cucumber is used for skin tightening, reducing the puffiness of eyes and also to resolve many skin issues. A facial mask that contains cucumber helps in tightening of skin. Putting the slices of this fruit on eyes for 10-15 minutes will help in reducing the puffiness around the eyes and soothe the area. It brings down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the puffiness under the eyes. Skin of this fruit can be used for reducing skin irritation and to give relief to the skin from sunburn. You can also use it for preparing homemade facial mask and for many more skincare recipes.
4. Cucumber can help in removing the unwanted cellulite. Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumber along the problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in this vegetable cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Eating of this draw out the excess fluids and tighten the collagen resulting in reduction of cellulite.
5. Cucumber juice works effectively for regulating blood pressure as it contains lots of potassium, magnesium and fiber. It is helpful for treating both high and low blood pressure. The juice is also found to be useful in diabetes as it contains a hormone that is needed by the cells of pancreas for producing insulin.
6. Taking fresh juice of this vegetable empty stomach in the morning regularly strengthen the immune system, helps in curing digestive disorders like acidity, heart burns, gastritis. The high water content and fiber helps in flushing out the toxins from digestive system and hence aid digestion. Eating it regularly may help in curing chronic costipation.
7. It is an excellent source of silica that helps in promoting joint health by strengthening connective tissues.
8. Eat few cucumber slices to avoid a hangover and headache. It contains sugar, vitamin B and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients of the body, keeps everything in equilibrium to avoid both a hangover and headache.