Control and enjoy the life
We have got so used to hear utterances about high blood pressure and diabetes from our childhood, that we hardly give any notice as if this won’t happen with us. It is important to understand that Type 2 Diabetes is a life-long metabolic ailment, that is characterized by high blood sugar, resistance to insulin or lack of insulin in the body system.
The indication of invasion of diabetes has few symptoms such as enhanced thirst, recurring urination, and weight loss for no obvious reason. Added symptoms may show up in form of unwarranted hunger, tiredness and longer healing time of an open wound or sore. Also, it is found that craving for the sweets increases and become overpoweringly uncontrollable, resulting in the worsening of the diabetic condition.
- Type-2 diabetes development happens because of the merger of your lifestyle and genetic issues. Insulin is a hormone produced inside the pancreas. Insulin’s function is to convert glucose to the energy in the body cells. The glucose is received in the body through the food you take.
- People with type 2 diabetes do make insulin, but the body cells don’t respond to it, as well as they should have, this condition is termed by Doctors as insulin resistance.
- When type2 diabetes begins, the pancreas overworks and makes more insulin to try to get glucose into the cells. Ultimately it gives up, and the sugar level builds up in the blood, in lieu.
- Genes influence the system that instigates your body to make insulin.
- Overweight– Being overweight or obese can cause insulin resistance, especially if your middle line is heavier. Obesity is affecting teenagers to older people, and so is Type-2 Diabetes.
You may also like:
Diagnosis of Diabetes
A glycosylated hemoglobin test
Known as HbA1c or simply A1c test. This test measures the body’s average blood sugar levels from the past 3 months. A1c of 6.5% is considered good, higher than that is taken to be diabetic. The more glucose in the blood, more hemoglobin A1C or HbA1C will be present in the blood.
Fasting plasma glucose FPG test
This test measures the body’s glucose level before and after fasting with the gap of eight hours. An FPG result of 126 mg/dl is fair, above that will be considered high sugar condition.
Type-2 Diabetes and its effects
If this ‘unwanted guest’ type 2 Diabetes is not restrained and controlled its complications can be wretched to the body. Hyper blood sugar can cause various unimaginable things to the body that will stun you.
- Heart Diseases due to blood vessels
- Nerve damage
- Kidney failure
- Yeast infections
- Hearing impairment
- Skin conditions
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Foot swelling
- Diabetic retinopathy- vision can be badly affected
- Poor supply of blood to the limbs can lead to amputation
Diabetes and its predicament for women
- Loss of libido or sex drive
- Vaginal dryness and pleasure reduction in sex
- Painful conjugal experience
- The women fatality is more than men, owing to heart conditions because of type-2 Diabetes complications.
- Kidney complication is found more in women than men because of type-2 diabetes.
- Pregnant women can face miscarriage or still birth child
- Baby can be born with some inadequacy if blood sugar not controlled during pregnancy.
Interesting facts about type-2 Diabetes
- In 90.95% adults, Type-2 Diabetes is found.
- Close to 30 million people in the USA alone are affected by it, 8 million people still not identified diabetes patients, though likely to have this illness.
- Interesting facts about rural India have 34 million Diabetes patients than urban patients whose figure stands at 28 million. Diabetic men and women’s ratio is 10:9.
- Overweight people are most likely to suffer from type2 Diabetes. Though this is not the criteria for diabetes, anyone with the genetic issue and bad lifestyle can have this problem.
- Most of the patients are insulin resistant, as their body builds insulin but cells don’t convert glucose to energy. There are few of the people whose body do not produce insulin at all.
- This is a ‘royal disease’ as it comes and stays lifelong for good and don’t just go away, this has to be managed and controlled by a healthier meal plan and lifestyle.
- Liver the glucose supplier- When sugar is low in the blood, the liver sends an extra dose of glucose. After meal your glucose level rises, then liver slows down and stores the glucose for the future. Improper liver function can lead to type-2 diabetic condition also when the liver doesn’t stop and continue sending the glucose in the blood.
- Cells sometimes have a communication problem, the bad signal affects extra glucose in the blood.
- Damaged Beta cells- If insulin-making cells don’t send timely insulin supply, then also glucose level in the blood can enhance.
Treatment and care
Diabetes experts say that in diabetes, prevention and management is by having whole grains replacing refined and simple sugars in the diet. A study disclosed that eating brown rice can reduce the chances of developing diabetes by 16 percent.
A breakfast in low-GI foods
Low GI food containing foods include dried beans and legumes such as lentils and kidney beans and all non- starchy vegetables. Some starchy vegetables like sweet potatoes, most fruit, and many whole grain bread and cereals such as barley, whole wheat bread, rye bread, all-bran cereal, rolled oats and brown rice, can work to prevent enhanced blood sugar. That’s because whole grains are good sources of vitamins, minerals, and fiber. That can help slow the absorption of glucose and wouldn’t let develop type 2 diabetes.
Grains such as Bulgar whole grain can reduce 36% chances of Type2 Diabetes. Oats‘ breakfast helps control glucose level. Wheat berries are unprocessed kernel advised to be eaten with salad in breakfast, Millet’s, Quinoa and Buckwheat grain have solid fiber content highly recommended by dietitians.
Fruits and vegetables
Apples, Asparagus, Flax seeds, Garlic, Kale, Melon, Avocados, Beans, Blueberries, Raspberries, Broccoli, Carrots, and Cranberries are few highly recommended to control type-2 Diabetes. Besides fish and nuts are also recommended for helping in controlling the sugar level.
As per the doctor’s advice, one has to take the shot of insulin as prescribed, the insulin has to be stored in the fridge within 2-8 c temperature. Now the insulin is being developed to withstand 30 c temperature, as most countries have this as normal temperature.
For controlling type 2 Diabetes Metformin is one really effective drug, being prescribed now by doctors in most countries. A cheaper drug Metformin not only helps control sugar level, but it also helps prevent the possibility of the heart stroke by 30 to 40%.
Johnson & Johnson is launching one insulin injecting plastic device that contains 200-unit fast-acting insulin, that will be tied on the skin and will inject itself without causing a prick like an issue, this infuses 2 units a time.
The glucose monitoring can easily be done by mobile phone and Libre connecting to libreLink app device, and making the reading available easily through phone and the day’s report will be recorded and observed.
In Type-2 Diabetes few things are related to your health and medical history. Your doctor may be able to help you by studying your case history and prescribe what’s best for you. The key word is to control your Type-2 Diabetes and live happily ever after.