Low Blood Pressure- Causes, Symptoms and natural treatment
Low Blood Pressure or hypo-tension is commonly used term, as most of the people are generally aware of its symptoms. But they don’t understand its full implication and impact on the body. First of all, low blood pressure is not a disease in itself but an indication of something more significant happening inside the body. If you feel lightheaded, dizzy and weak then it might be the reason to see the doctor. He can find what’s actually wrong with you.
Hypo-tension- what is it
As all know the heart is a muscled component that pumps the oxygenated blood to all parts of the body. After it pumps low oxygen blood to the lungs for charge-up with the oxygen. That pumping of blood creates a pressure and it’s called Blood Pressure.
When we measure the blood pressure we take two readings, when the heart contracts and when it rests.
Systolic Pressure– Time for maximum pressure when the heart pumps and contracts
Diastolic Pressure– When heart rests, say between two beats.
Ideally the normal blood pressure is considered 120 systolic and 80 diastolic. Lower then it around 90/60 is termed Low Blood Pressure.
Low Blood Pressure Causes
Millions of people across the world have hypertension condition and for them low blood pressure might seem a bliss. But they fail to realize that low blood pressure can cause lots of health issues to the people, such as fainting, heart conditions, neurological and Endocrinol complications. There are other reasons for Hypo-tension too.
- Septicemia- blood poisoning
- Dehydration- Diarrhea is the reason for it too
- These medicines could also be the cause of low blood pressure.
- Alpha and Beta blockers
- Antidepressants Tricyclic
- Medicines prescribed for Parkinson’s disease
- Combination of Viagra with nitroglycerin
- Anesthesia during surgery blood pressure is lowered
A doctor will check on your age, medical history, symptoms and your lifestyle too. He will decide to go for ECG or Echo cardiogram to assess any effect on the heart. Doctor can examine your blood sugar through blood test. He can also go for exercise stress test. These all examinations will help him to find root cause of the problem.
During doctor’s check-up if the blood pressure varies from vertical body position to horizontal, then it’s called Postural hypo-tension, this normally happens in growing age patients. Sometime the blood pressure can drop off after consuming meals resulting to all hypo-tension symptoms such as dizziness, faintness and lightheaded feeling, this condition is termed Postprandial Hypo-tension.
The common symptoms visible in hypo-tension condition
- Blurred vision
- Thirst enhancement
- Palpitation & shallow breathing
Doctors normally suggest to abstain and attain few things thus adopting natural treatment for hypo-tension. Though they have to take measures to treat chronic patients with few drugs like fludrocortisone, that increases blood volume. They also understand there is no perfect treatment for this. Thus natural treatment is the best way out.
- More salt– Sodium present in salt can increase the blood pressure unlike hypertension where the contrary applies. Older people must check with the doctors about salt intake as it might affect their heart too.
- Increase water intake- Water in fact is important for all to take in sufficient quantity but for hypo-tension patients it is mandatory. Intake of fluids increase blood volume that helps to treat low blood pressure.
- Say NO to alcohol– Alcohol dehydrates the system of the body and lowers blood pressure further.
- Healthy diet helps- You must focus on the healthy food that provides all the required nutrients such as Fish, lean chicken, whole grain, green vegetables and fruits etc.
- Slowly eat for cure– For the patients who suffer from sudden increase in hypo-tension after meals, its advised to eat low carb food slowly. Space the food to several times a day and put brakes on carb food such as pasta, potato, rice etc.
- Turn slow– People with postural hypo-tension must change the sides slowly when sleeping. Rise slowly from sitting position to standing. This will help in controlling dizziness effect.
- Avoid Straining– Avoid straining while in toilet and lifting of heavy weights.
- Exercise– Do light exercise daily and avoid longer duration in hot water bath or spas.