What is insomnia?
Insomnia is nothing but a sleeping disorder where a person finds it really difficult to fall asleep or to stay asleep for the required duration of time. Find types of insomnia and insomnia remedies.
The various types of Insomnia
There are two types of insomnia which include:
1. Primary Insomnia
This is a medical condition where a person suffers from sleep issues which are nowhere related to any current medical condition.
2. Secondary Insomnia
This is when a person suffers from sleep issues due to health issues such as depression, cancer, asthma and et al other than external factors like alcoholism and medication impacts.
The other way insomnia can be categorized is by its prevalence.
This condition is where the person suffers from insomnia which is short-lived and can stay for a day to a few weeks.
Chronic Insomnia- This is when the person suffering feels the lack of sleep for at least three nights in a given week and which can go up to months or longer than that.
The various symptoms associated with insomnia
Some of the symptoms associated with insomnia are discussed as follows:
1. Difficulty in falling asleep in the night time
2. Waking up too early
3. Feeling of sleepiness and tiredness in the daytime
4. Issues in remembering things, focusing and in being attentive
5. Having bouts of a headache in tensed conditions
6. Getting too worried about sleep
7. Not able to stay asleep at night
8. Feeling tired in the morning even after having slept
9. Depression, anxiety bouts and irritation
10. Stomach woes
11. Facing too many accidents or errors which are avoidable in normal conditions
It is advised that in case any of the symptoms persist which bars a person from taking up daily activities; he or she should seek medical help immediately.
You may also like:
The remedies which help in insomnia
In case a person is suffering from insomnia, the remedies associated are majorly based on the occurrence and the severity of the problem.
Acute Insomnia Remedies
In case a person is suffering from an insomnia issue which is just mild, in his or her case the doctor might suggest some simple and easy lifestyle changes which are enough to cure the condition to the extent. Some of the changes which are highly recommended include avoiding alcohol before going to bed, avoiding caffeine and other stimulating products, avoiding heavy meals, bright lights and exercising at the day end before going to sleep.
Chronic Insomnia Remedies
In case the insomnia issue is grave and rather difficult to cure, the doctors usually ask the person to take a kind of therapy also known as cognitive behavioral therapy which helps in curbing the anxiety associated with sleeplessness. Medications are however also available to take care of the concern but it is safer to go for the therapy instead at any given point of time. Some of the medical options which can treat insomnia issues include eszopiclone (Lunesta), ramelteon (Rozerem), zolpidem (Ambien) and zaleplon (Sonata).
Home remedies to cure Insomnia
Certain insomnia remedies also help to put you to sleep throughout the night such as:
• Drink warm milk mixed with two spoons of honey.
• Take a warm bath every night. Alternatively, soak your feet in warm water for some time before hitting the bed.
• Consume three cups of curd every day.
• Consume one tablespoon of powdered pippli (piper longum) root along with milk and jaggery.
• Follow the same schedule day and night so that your body gets accustomed to waking up and sleeping times.
• Go for morning walks daily so that your body gets habitual to waking up in the morning and sleeping sound at night.
• Apply lavender oil on your temples and forehead before going to bed. It will help as a mild tranquilizer and induce sleep.