Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has become the holy grail of healthy diet these days. It is a common ingredient for many dishes. Moreover, due to the health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar, it is ideal as a natural remedy for curing as well as preventing many ailments.
Nutritional Values of ACV
ACV is one of the popularly used fruit-based vinegar and is made by fermenting apples and water. It has 5 percentage acidity, like any other kind of vinegar. The nutrient values in apple and the fermentation process are the secrets behind the magical powers of this fruit-based vinegar. Apples contain very high amounts of Vitamin K, A-C, magnesium, folate, potassium, calcium and also sugar in the natural form. The presence of the fiber pectin makes apples great for the digestive system’s health. Fermentation contributes malic, citric, acetic and lactic acids in ACV, along with good bacteria. That is why it is considered magical for healing many diseases and protecting the skin.
Health Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been used as a home remedy for many of the illnesses from time immemorial. Here are some of the major pros of using ACV.
1. Weight Loss
One of the key reasons for all the buzz about Apple Cider Vinegar is its ability to boost weight loss. ACV works by making the individual feel full and thus avoid overeating. Moreover, one tablespoon of ACV has just 3 calories.
Apple Cider Vinegar has the ability to prevent diabetes especially when you are fasting. It works by reducing the blood sugar level but ACV is not an alternative to the medicines.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar on Cholesterol and Blood Pressure
One of the major health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar is its ability to reduce blood pressure and cholesterol. ACV controls renin, a hormone responsible to constrict and dilate blood vessels. This ability of ACV helps in keeping the blood vessels relaxed and thus a check on blood pressure. The consumption of ACV before a meal helps in reducing LDL and increasing HDL as it has natural antioxidants thus keeping a check on cholesterol.
5. Destroys Bacteria
Apple Cider Vinegar helps in disinfecting wounds and treating fungus. It is best for treating and preventing infection as it can easily kill bacteria. This also helps in inhibiting Bacteria like E-coli which can spoil food. It is widely used as a food preservative.
How to Consume Apple Cider Vinegar Safely?
- The health benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar can be tapped only if it is consumed safely.
- One of the easiest ways to include ACV in the diet is by using it for food preparation. Distilled ACV is ideal for marinades, salads, pickling, and cabbing. The raw one is the most suitable for marinades, salads, and cooking.
- Raw ACV can also add a kick to your drinks if you mix it with them.
- Sprinkling ACV on popcorn gives it a tangy twist. It can also be a pleasant flavor to add with fruit syrups, kale chips, barbecued beef, and coleslaw.
- Consuming it as a supplement is also a very common trend. Try to consume only 1 to 2 teaspoons while using it directly as a supplement.
- You can add ACV to water or tea when you consume it as a supplement. You should always use it as part of a recipe than consuming directly.
- While consuming ACV, always remember to dilute it with water so that too much of acid does not hit the esophagus or stomach. The ratio of water and apple cider vinegar changes based on the reason for consuming it.
- Too much consumption of the vinegar can have a negative impact on tooth enamel due to the high acidity levels in it.
- If you are considering to consume ACV regularly, the important steps include
- appropriate dilution,
- usage of straw for drinking it
- proper rinsing of the mouth
Consumption of ACV in large amounts like about 8 ounces for the long term can lead to osteoporosis and lower potassium levels. When ACV is added in dishes, the acidity is made subtle by the nutrients in the other ingredients.