Alarming signs and effects of eating disorder Anorexia become evident when one develops an obsession with food or dieting. There are several emotional, behavioral, and physical signs of anorexia nervosa that signals towards potential dangers of anorexia. Check out these signs and get ready to nip these in buds.
Signs of anorexia
An early sign of anorexia focuses on food and dieting mostly, despite being lean and thin. The anorexia signs take to the compulsive and obsessive behavior that slowly takes over the life of the unaware sufferer. Soon these signs of messy eating patterns bring the personal and social life of the victim to almost a grinding halt. If any of the early warning signs of these disorders relate with your near or dear ones, it’s the time to stay alert and avert it.
- Mostly in denial mode when asked to eat
- Rejection even though starving
- Pays less attention and is less focused
- Develops fixation with body weight and shape
- Skips meals too often shun food on the pretext of lack of hunger
- Limits eating within a few food items, considering them low in fat and calories
- Makes pieces of food or weighs food before eating
- Prefers cooking for others but refuses to eat
Emotive behavioral signs of a person with anorexia nervosa
There could be some alarming signs in people of either sex with specific behavior patterns indicative of anorexia nervosa only.
- Hide loss of bodyweight by wearing multiple clothing
- Always thoughtful about body weight and dieting
- Always comments on her/his fat body despite being lean.
- Keeps strict exercise routine, irrespective of bad weather or sickness
- Starts withdrawing from social activities
- Develops phobia about gaining weight
- Always evaluate self and feels incapable
Physical signs indicative of anorexia nervosa
- Reports frequently of constipation, abdominal cramps, or feeling of coldness
- Females with this disorder may lose their menstrual periods
- Anemic having low thyroid and hormone levels
- Low on minerals like calcium and potassium and blood cell counts
- Sluggish heart rate
- Dizziness and fainting bouts
- Dry skin and brittle nails
- Hair thinning
- Muscular weakness
- Late healing in wounds
- Poor immune system
Potential effects of Anorexia Nervosa
The effects of Anorexia disorder could be progressively alarming if proper treatment and are not extended to the sufferer. Here are a few effects that anorexia could have on people.
- May withdraw from school or college, as not happy to study being preoccupied with themselves.
- Puts distance with their religions and society
- Career interruptions for lack of concentration in their jobs
- Puts distance between themselves and near and dear ones
- Develop suicidal tendencies
- Failure of body parts, brain, heart etc. may result in mortality
- May abuse substance and become drug addicts
- Young women mostly become alcoholics
Anorexia co-relates with other disorders such as depression, anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Therefore, it is important that parents should recognize an eating disorder in their children, based on these alarming signs and effects of eating disorder Anorexia.