The world has been going through a miserable situation because of the coronavirus outbreak of a deadly virus. Initially originated in a market of Wuhan in China, in December 2019, the coronavirus outbreak becomes scary as it takes the form of a lethal disease. The disease is caused by an infection with COVID-19 that has created panic in the world.
The virus spreads quickly when in close contact with an infected person. Touching, handshaking, kissing, and even standing close to an infected person can cause coronavirus.
Till now, the fatal coronavirus affects more or less 167 countries and territories all over the world according to WHO. Among them, Italy, Iran, Spain have been the worst sufferers. The death numbers registered are over ten thousand in these countries. The total global count of infected people crosses 1,94,000. The fear among people all over the world is rising.
Are you scared of a Coronavirus outbreak? Check the myths, symptoms, precautions, and treatment now!
Know the myths associated with Coronavirus Outbreak
As the disease continues to spread all over the globe, there are increasing misconceptions and confusion among people. Health experts and doctors try to clear the myths to evade the fear among people. Here are some myths associated with coronavirus:
Can cold weather and snow kill the coronavirus?
Explanation: There has been no reason to believe that a cold climate can kill coronavirus. The normal body heat in the human body range between 36.5°C to 37°C, irrespective of the external temperature. Cleaning your hand with alcohol-based hand sanitizer is an effective way to protect yourself.
Can a face mask protect you from the spread?
Explanation: Though the masks offer a lot of protection as they catch the droplets, still there is A chance of infection through minute viral particles and the eyes. Professional masks (for example N95) are important for health workers who take care of patients with coronavirus since it reduces the chances of getting infected drastically. Both patients and caretakers need to wear masks to cut the chances of infection.
However, the mask is not important for people who are not suffering from respiratory disease.
Can saltwater protect you from COVID-19?
Explanation: There is no specific proof that saltwater is a solution for coronavirus. It is only a myth.
Is coronavirus unable to spread in hot, humid places?
Explanation: The coronavirus outbreak can spread in any weather. There has been no evidence till now that shows coronavirus can only spread in cool weather.
Symptoms associated with COVID-19
The symptoms range from mild symptoms to severe illness. The following symptoms can appear after 2-14 days of exposure.
Soreness of breath
Persistent pain in the chest
Bluish face or lips
pneumonia in both lungs
The precautionary steps to follow
- There are certain preventive measures to keep you safe from the scourge. As a vaccine has not been formulated, preventive tips are the best cure available so far. Follow the following point to know them:
- Wash your hands often with water and soap for 20 seconds especially after you visit a public place, coughing or sneezing.
- If you do not have water and soap, then depend on a hand sanitizer with at least 60% Alcohol. Cover your hand and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid the mass gathering to avoid the infection.
- Stay a distance of 3 feet between yourself and other people suffering from the disease. It is also important for those who are at high risk of getting sick.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth, eyes with your dirty hands as it aggravates the chance of infection.
- If you are feeling sick, then stay at home until you feel fit and take the essential steps.
- Use a tissue when you sneeze or cough. After throwing the tissues, wash your hands with soap and water.
- Keep the surfaces clean and disinfected. It includes light switches, cell phones, computers, toilets, desks, handles, etc. Use disinfectants for the proper cleaning of the floors.
- Wearing a mask is recommended if you are in charge of an infected person. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) suggests infected people to wear masks too to prevent the transmission of the virus.
Here is a video on guidelines provided by WHO
What treatments are available for the patients?
Till now, there is no vaccine for COVID-19 or any health products to treat/ protect against this virus. But treatments and vaccinations are under study. If you realize that you are affected by a coronavirus, consult a doctor immediately. The health care provider may recommend steps to beat the disease. Contact your physician as soon as possible if you have the symptoms or you travel to a region with a coronavirus attack. Some basic treatments for this deadly virus are available:
breathing support, such as mechanical ventilation
blood plasma transfusions
antiviral or retroviral medications
Need for faith over the fear of coronavirus
In the present situation, people should stay positive. To cope up with the situation, spread awareness to avoid the infection of the deadly virus. It is time to pray for the well-being of the patients. Stay at home and avoid gathering until the circumstance is under control.
To sum up, instead of getting panic, talk positively, and emphasize the significance of useful preventive measures. The more we remain aware, the sooner we can get over the crisis.