Oregano is mainly known as a taste enhancer for some majorly consumed food items like pizzas and pasta. Oregano is used for various other culinary purposes but did you know that it is used as a medicine too? This native herb of the Mediterranean is used since ages for making several medicines. The natural components of oregano boost our health in several ways; here are a few benefits of Oregano:
Oregano is home to many vital vitamins and minerals, which are essential for our wellbeing. Per 100g of oregano contains 42.5g dietary fiber, calcium 1597mg, iron 36.80mg, vitamin C 2.3mg, vitamin A 1701u, vitamin E- 18.26mg, and many other electorates and phytonutrients. It does not contain any cholesterol and has a long list of components, which aid in the prevention of several diseases.
Health benefits of Oregano:
Oregano contains a lot of fiber. This fiber helps in easing the digesting procedure and smoothens the excretion process. Fibre also helps your body to absorb more nutrients from the food you intake. Apart from this fiber also helps in maintaining gut health. Include dried oregano in your day-to-day food products such as bread dough, salad seasoning, stuffing, etc., to improve your digestion.
Aids in maintaining bone health
Minerals like calcium, iron, and magnesium are very necessary for maintaining bone health. Oregano contains all these minerals in sufficient quantity, which further helps to maintain bone health. Consume at least 5-10 grams of dried oregano daily to improve your bone health.
Guard against cancer
Some research has stated that oregano helps in preventing cancer as well as stops the cancer cells from growing. The antioxidants and rosmarinic acid present in oregano make it a natural ingredient, which can possibly prevent cancer. Include oregano in any form in your diet to maintain good health and prevent the development of cancer cells in your body.
Improves heart health
Oregano is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids that are responsible for reducing the risks of heart complications. It also helps in maintaining the regular heart rate and blood pressure. Use oregano oil instead of regular oil or olive oil wherever possible to maintain better heart health.
Fights bad bacteria
Some lab experiments and studies have concluded that oregano is effective in fighting 23 types of bacteria, which lead to various skin and body infections. Massage a few drops of oregano oil (infused in coconut oil) on the affected area to get rid of skin infections.
Detoxifies the body
A study has shown that oregano has the highest amount of antioxidants compared to other herbs; a half teaspoon of oregano has more antioxidants than 3 cups of fresh spinach. Due to the high rate of such antioxidants, it helps in detoxifying your body by removing all the toxins out of your body caused due to several environmental and lifestyle factors. Make it a point to consume fresh oregano with salads or dilute it in water daily to boost the detoxifying process.
Treats common cold, sinus and period cramps
Oregano contains vital elements like thymol, caryophyllene, pinene, limonene, etc. It also has various antiseptic and antispasmodic properties due to the presence of several vitamins and nutrients. This is the reason why oregano has the ability to treat minor aches, cold, indigestion, period cramps, etc. Boil fresh oregano leaves and flowering stem in water and drink it to treat these conditions.
Benefits of oregano for skin
Oregano can be used in the form of oregano oil for skin and hair; it has the following benefits:
- Oregano contains a compound called carvacrol, which aids in treating minor skin conditions like acne, rashes, fungal infections, etc.
- It has the ability to kill bad bacteria that cause skin infections.
- Due to its anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties, oregano can heal the damage caused by free radicals.
Benefits of oregano for hair
- Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, oregano oil if mixed with shampoo can help reduce dandruff in just one week.
- It prevents hair problems like balding, lice, ringworm, hair fall, dandruff, itchy scalp, etc.
- Regular hair massage with oregano oil stimulates hair growth and strengthens your hair.
- Oregano oil is an insect repellent. Due to the presence of carvacrol, it can act as a natural insect killer.
- Oregano if mixed with baking soda and other mints in appropriate quantity it can help in cleaning rugs.
- You can use oregano oil as a room freshener by mixing it with lavender oil or any other fragranced essential oil.