With age, follicle narrows and produce thinner and weaker hairs. Thinning of hair is the second most common problem of women over 40 after sagging skin. Hair loss in women over 40 can become a most depressing time as it directly affects their looks and confidence. As per various reports, more than 20 million women in the United States alone suffer from some form of female pattern baldness.
There is a variety of reasons for women over 40 to lose hair but sudden hair loss in patches can be a sign of some serious medical condition. In case of sudden hair loss, one should always consult medical health care professional instead of a dermatologist. Only medical practitioners can diagnose medical conditions by carrying out specific tests.
Most common factors of hair loss in women over 40
2. Hormonal imbalance
3. Skin disorder
One of the major causes of hair loss in women over 40 is androgenetic alopecia. Unfortunately, this condition is genetic and passed down through generation and usually can be predicted by looking at senior family members. An early sign of female –pattern baldness is thinning of hair on the crown.
The hormonal imbalance in this age of women can be caused by many factors. Some of the reasons may be under active or overactive thyroid glands, diabetes, depression, sudden and drastic weight loss. Other reasons may be traumatic life events such as childbirth or surgery, emotional stress for a long period, certain medication such as chemotherapy drugs for treating cancer, high blood pressure drugs, etc. During perimenopause and menopause in the women over 40, the level of testosterone drops due to which hair follicles begin to die though women have a very low level of testosterone in comparison with men.
Chemical-based treatment for psoriasis and intense scratching in this skin condition may leave scars on the scalp that dry up and kill the hair follicles.
Moreover, women in this age group have more stressful life due to their family, work and emotional, social and financial responsibilities. Stress creates an imbalance in the system that may lead to thinning and losing hair.
The tight hairstyle can bring hair loss not due to only pulling out of hair but also from scalp damage. The hair loss from hairstyle and tight rollers is temporary and can be reversed by changing hairstyles.
Lastly, nutritional deficiencies may also lead to slow regrowth, breaking and shedding of hair. Deficiency of vitamin A for a long time is one of the main reasons for hair loss. Therefore, hair problem that is caused by nutrients deficiencies can be resolved by intake of a proper diet which includes vitamin A, Certain vitamin B, vitamin C, iron, zinc, protein, etc.
Tips to treat Hair Loss in women over 40
Just in case, you thought that your hair loss is here to stay and you will not have lustrous locks anymore, wait! Here are effective tips that can cure hair loss and pave the way to silky, long hair:
- Hair oils like coconut oil, olive oil, etc can bring back life to your dull and unmanageable hair. Use them regularly, massage gently, keep for one hour at least, if not overnight and then wash off with shampoo.
- Avoid daily shampoo as it may make your hair and scalp drier. 2-3 times a week is just good enough.
- Opt for mild shampoos and say bye to harsher one of you want to protect your locks.
- Remember to condition your hair after every hair washes to keep them well-nourished.
- Accept your gray hair, they look cool. Do not run after crazy procedures to hide gray.
- Embrace the way your hair is, curly, wavy or straight. Do not keep trying harsh methods like straightening and make them brittle.
- Hairstyling products often make your hair dry, dull and sheen less. Use them sparingly.
- Do not rub your hair vigorously to dry them. This will cause hair breakage.
- Tying the hair tightly will make them break easily. Try easy and loose hairstyles like messy buns that look trendy.
- Choose high-quality hair products and accessories such as a hairbrush, hairdryer, etc. This will go a long way in protecting your hair.
- Let your hair dry naturally and keep a check on changes in their texture. To maintain hair health and growth, take supplements like Vitamins A and E.
- Ensure your diet is rich in all the nutrients that your body and hair require.
- Get your hair trimmed regularly and see if you need a different hairstyle as per your face cut.
- To promote hair growth, perform yoga asanas under expert supervision.
Above all, stay happy and be grateful for what you have. Keep the stress away to experience life at this age.