The fast lifestyle today has to lead to a rise in various health problems and mainly heart problems. Today heart attacks and other cardiac diseases affect youngsters and mid-age groups more than senior citizens group. Apart from maintaining a healthy diet, a good lifestyle and using allopathic blood thinners, you can use some natural blood thinners to avoid blood clots to save yourself from fatal heart diseases.
Causes of Blood clots
- Overweight or obesity can increase the pressure on veins and further lead to blood clots.
- Smoking damages the circulatory system and harms the lining of blood vessels, which can become the main cause of blood clots.
- Serious injury or surgery and injure your blood vessels which may later result in blood clots.
- Cancer treatments.
- Sitting in a vehicle for a long time.
- Age factors.
- Inflammatory bowel disease.
4 Natural blood thinners
Some food or ingredients we use in our day-to-day life can be used as natural blood thinners in order to avoid blood clots. Here are five of them.
Research states that odorless Garlic powder has antithrombotic properties and any substance, which has antithrombotic properties, is very beneficial in preventing the formation of blood clots. While some studies state that although it has blood-thinning properties, the effects are for short term and high doses of garlic should not be taken before any surgery.
Grape seed extract:
Various studies and tests have concluded that grape seed extracts can be quiet beneficial for treating various heart and blood conditions. The grape seed extract is loaded with antioxidants, which are capable of preventing high blood pressure and protect the blood vessels from damage. Due to all these properties, it may also act as a natural blood thinner. However, grape seed extracts should not be consumed if you are already consuming a blood thinner or if any of your operations is due in the near future.
It is extracted from pineapple and is available at various drug and health stores in the form of a supplement. Research says that bromelain can help to avoid blood clots, reduce the formation of blood clots, break the blood clots and thin your blood. It is also effective in controlling high blood pressure.
This cinnamon contains a very strong blood-thinning agent called coumarin. It is so powerful that the most used blood thinner warfarin is derived from coumarin. Cassia cinnamon contains a high level of coumarin as compared to other types of cinnamon hence it can be used as a blood thinner. However long-term high consumption of this cinnamon can cause liver damage.
Tips to avoid blood clots
- Do not wear very tight fitted clothes.
- Exercise regularly.
- Lift your legs 6inches above your chest after regular intervals.
- Reduce the intake of salt.
- Keep changing your sitting position during a long journey.
- Do not keep pillows under your knees.
- It does not stand or sit continuously for more than an hour.
- Increase the height of your bed by 4-6inches.
The natural thinners are effective in many ways however; you should not consume it in high quantity. Also, you should not do it without doctors’ concerns. Taking a high dose of natural thinners along with blood-thinning medicines can worsen your condition hence avoid doing it.