In today’s modern world, often fancy diet names, international exquisite fruits, and vegetables are considered rich and healthy. However, if you have a closer look, some locally grown foods like peanuts have more nutrition than the imported and expensive foodstuffs. Not sure about the peanuts? Then, in order to know the unknown benefits of peanuts, continue reading…
Some unknown benefits of peanuts
Peanuts are rich in niacin or vitamin B3 which ensures the normal functioning of the brain and boosts memory power. They also contain a flavonoid called resveratrol, which aids to improve blood flow to the brain.
Boosts heart health:
Peanuts contain resveratrol, which helps to fight heart problems. Moreover, peanuts help to reduce the level of bad cholesterol called LDL. These also reduce plaque in the blood vessels and inflammation in the body, which can lead to heart problems.
Promotes hair growth:
Another unknown benefit of peanuts is, it is loaded with proteins and amino acids that act as an excellent source for better and faster hair growth.
Aids in weight loss:
Peanuts are rich in nutrition and evoke a feeling of fullness when consumed as a snack. This makes you eat less of other high calories food thus contributing to weight loss.
Helps to improve fertility:
Intake of foods having folate is very important for women in order to deliver a physically and mentally healthy baby. Peanuts have high folate content, which not only promotes fertility but also ensures a safe and healthy fetus.
One of the unknown benefits of peanuts is Managing blood sugar level:
Peanuts have high fiber and protein content while they are comparatively low in carbohydrates, which aids to manage blood sugar levels. Most importantly, it has a low GI (glycemic index) level due to which they do not add to sugar level. Some researchers state that daily consumption of peanuts can help women with type 2 diabetes and obesity to manage their blood sugar in a better way.
Healthy and glowing skin:
The resveratrol in peanuts helps to reduce acne and pimple by preventing the growth of sebum oil in the skin. Moreover, vitamin C and vitamin E in peanuts contribute to the reduction of wrinkles, fine lines, and signs of early aging. Regular consumption of peanuts helps to protect your skin from damage from free radicals.
Delicious peanuts recipes you need to try at home
- ½ cup roasted and powdered peanuts
- ½ cup finely chopped spinach
- 5tbsp wheat flour
- ½ cup gram flour
- 2 ½ tsp oil (for cooking and greasing)
- 1tsp warm oil for kneading
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ finely chopped green chilies
- Salt to taste
- Take a big bowl, combine all the ingredients in it, and turn it into a soft dough by using water in little quantity.
- Now, add warm oil and knead the dough thoroughly once again.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal portions and make flat round Tikkis from it.
- Next, grease a non-stick pan or Tava with ½ tsp oil and cook each Tikki until golden brown(add oil as required).
- Serve hot with green chutney or any sauce of your choice.
Peanut Chikki/peanut bar
- 2 cups roasted peanuts(halves)
- 2 cups chopped jaggery
- Add jaggery to a pre-heated aluminum kadhai and cook it for 2 minutes on high flame. Keep stirring continuously.
- Now put the flame on low and cook for the next 3 minutes or until the jaggery turns into a thick foam and starts changing color.
- Turn off the flame and continue stirring for a few seconds.
- Now, add the roasted peanuts and mix well.
- Put the mixture on a greased platform and mix it with a flat ladle.
- Grease your hands and pat the mixture. Now, flatten the mixture into a circle approx 275mm using a rolling pin.
- Once flattened, cut it into equal squares with a sharp knife and let it cool completely.
- Store the chikkis in an airtight container to maintain its crunchiness.
Thai peanut hummus
- A handful of roughly chopped peanuts
- 425 grams rinsed and drained chickpeas
- 2-3tsp peanut butter
- 1/2tsp ground ginger
- 2 small garlic cloves
- ½ tsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 finely chopped green chilies
- Handful chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- 3-4 tbsp ice water
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 chopped green onions
- In a food processor, add honey, siracha, ginger garlic, peanut butter, salt, pepper, and chickpeas and grind until broken.
- Add olive oil and ice water in the running processor and grind until you get the desired consistency.
- Now, taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning as per your choice.
- Remove the mixture to a bowl, add peanuts, cilantro, and green onions, and serve it with tortillas chips.
Crunchy Thai peanut chicken slaw salad
- ½ cup chopped peanuts
- 2 cup coleslaw mix
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1 ½ cup shredded chicken
- 1 bunch finely chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup Thai peanut sauce
- 1 whole lime juice
- 2 chopped cucumbers
- ½ cup cilantro
- Put all the vegetables and chicken in a large bowl and toss them.
- Now, add peanut sauce, lime juice, and mix well.
- Garnish with peanuts and serve immediately.
Spicy crock-pot chili peanuts
- 680 grams of cocktail peanuts
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 20-30grm chili seasoning
- In a crock-pot add butter, peanuts, sprinkle the chili mix, and mix well.
- Put the flame on low, cover the pot and cook it for the next 2 hours
- Remove the lid and cook on high flame for the next 10-15 minutes and your spicy crock-pot chili peanuts are ready.
Therefore, daily consumption of peanuts in an adequate quantity not only contributes to overall physical health but also helps to reduce depression. Hope you are now aware of the unknown benefit of peanuts and will include it in your diet.