Growing up, you must have heard your parents bragging about various health benefits and nutrition facts about spinach! Well, your parents were not wrong at all because spinach is loaded with various vital vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants, which boost your immune system. Moreover, you can use spinach for brain health and overall health development.
Benefits of spinach for brain
Spinach contains a high level of vitamin B folate. This folate brings down the level of a compound called homocysteine which can damage your brain cells in various ways. Hence, the consumption of spinach can prevent neuron damage.
Improves memory and concentration:
Another reason to eat spinach for the brain is its memory-boosting properties! Vitamin B6 and B9 in spinach help to fight confusion, depression, and anxiety, overthinking and forgetfulness thus, improving focus and boosting your memory level.
Related post: Top Seven Superfoods to Boost Your Brain Power
Slows down age-related cognitive decline:
Spinach contains some most important minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants that contribute to the development of cognitive health. Interestingly, various studies have stated that regular consumption of spinach helps to slow down age-related cognitive decline.
Benefits of spinach for body
Works wonders for skin:
The anti-oxidants in spinach helps to reduce wrinkles and fine lines, acne, and dryness on your skin. Moreover, it gives you a healthy, bright and smooth skin.
Protect from chronic diseases:
Various nutrients, fibers and vitamins like vitamin A, C, help to prevent breast and colon cancer. The lutein in spinach prevents cataracts and other early eyesight problems. Moreover, spinach can also help to normalize high blood pressure and prevent diabetes.
Boosts bone health:
Spinach has good water content and fiber content. That is why; it reduces constipation and helps to maintain a healthy digestive tract.
You can use spinach for the brain, for fighting diseases, strengthening bones, improving hair and skin, improving digestion, etc. All this contributes to health development thus, boosting immunity.
Interesting Spinach recipes
Spicy spinach soup with Paneer crouton
Method of preparation
- In a wok, heat 1-2 tbsp mustard oil and sprinkle few drops of salted water over it.
- Now, crackle ½ tsp mustard seeds, ginger, 1 finely chopped chilly and some curry leaves in the oil.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder, 1 chopped onion and 1 bulb chopped fennel into it. Your tempering for soup is ready!
- Now add 1 cup soaked red lentils and 1-liter vegetable stock to the tempering and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add 1 bunch finely chopped spinach, 1 bunch chopped dill leaves (small) and half-cup methi to it.
- Let it simmer for a minute. After it is cooked, add some ice cubes and blend to make a chilled soup.
- Meanwhile, in a tray, cut paneer into cubes, marinate it with some garam masala, pepper, salt, and olive oil and bake on 180 C for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour the soup in two large bowls. Now, garnish it with freshly baked paneer croutons and some chaat masala.
Method of preparation:
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a pan and add 10-ounce spinach to it. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 1-2 tsp- garlic salt to it cover for the next 5 minutes.
- Now remove the cover, sprinkle 1/4th cup parmesan cheese over it and the dish is ready to serve.
Image courtesy: allrecipes.com
Method of preparation:
- Take 1-pound fresh spinach in a bowl, wash well and remove all the harsh stems from it.
- Now, bring water to boil in a big pot, add spinach into it and turn off the gas. Let the mixture cool down. Then drain the water from the pot in a bowl and save it for later use. Thereafter, puree the spinach.
- In between, make roux Juice by mixing 1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp flour and leftover spinach water on low flame.
- Now, time to add this roux to the spinach purée, stir well and serve hot.
In the end, we hope you have gained from this post on spinach and its recipes. Do include spinach in your diet this winter Jand boost your health!