Sweat glands, sebaceous glands, and apocrine sweat glands produce substances that contribute to body odor. It is an inseparable functioning of all living beings, be it humans or animals. Body odor is often caused when bacteria that live on the surface of the skin break down sweat produced by apocrine glands. Apocrine glands contain proteins and lipids that bacteria love to feed on.
The result of this process is in the form of waste compounds, isovaleric acids, and Propanoic acids. Each is found at varying degrees in sweat, and each has distinct cells that you often term and associate with body odor. Read further to know the best tips to reduce body odor and home remedies-
Reasons That Generates Odour from Your Body
Scientifically, it has been proven that body odor helps in dividing your whole body physically and emotionally. There are approximately 2.5 million sweat glands in your body that act as tiny air-conditioners to keep the temperature of your body in moderation to other organs.
In general terms, sweat glands work in conjunction with your body temperature helping it to cool down when you get tensed, anxious, and sometimes depressed.
There are various reasons that combine together to generate odor from your body. Some of them are as follows:
- Low level of male hormones, menopause, and gastrointestinal problems along with very weak metabolism
- Smoking or alcohol consumption
- Uncommon genetic conditions like sweating, which later results in bad odor.
- deficiency of cavities, zinc minerals, and toxins.
- Medication used for treating problems and diseases related to liver and kidney also contributes to reasons related to body odor.
- Unhygienic living conditions, like irregular bathing patterns, less usage of toiletries, dirty clothes, and sometimes unawareness in rural areas.
- Strong skin allergy, eczema, psoriasis, and fungal infection can be the cause of body odor.
Odor Cleanse for Breath & Body 50 caps from Yerba Prima – $9.92
Best Tips to Reduce Body Odour
There are several tips that help you in decreasing the body odor and make you feel fresh like,
1. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day
2. Taking bath or shower at least twice a day and in summers you could increase the count
3. Decide a day in a week to go on a non-spicy, low-fat fibrous diet like fruits and green vegetables
4. Avoid drinking aerated drinks, alcohol, cigarettes, and tobacco completely.
5. Go for detoxification of your body at regular intervals to reduce body odor.
6. Use a good anti-bacterial soap or body wash for better results.
7. Keep your clothes in a dry area, where there is no dampness or moisture which can give a breeding ground to bacteria.
8. Exercising or walking should be an essential part of your daily regime, it will reap good benefits as and when you age.
9. Add white vinegar or rose water in your bathtub to give you a fresh feel post-bath and also helps in diminishing the body odor. You may also sprinkle white vinegar on smelly areas and then wipe it to eliminate a bad smell.
10. Apply some tea tree oil on the underarms and other smelly portions of the body which acts as a natural antiseptic.
11. Give yourself nutritional supplements to curb odors like Vitamin A, Vitamin-B complex, Zinc, and Vitamin C
12. Use natural deodorants and fragrances to avoid chemical application on your skin, and thus generating body odor.
Home remedies to deal with body odor
Coconut oil is a good source to kick out bacteria from the body which is beneficial to get rid of foul odor smell. Simply mix 2 teaspoon coconut oil, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon water. Now, rub it gently on the armpit and rinse it with water after 5 minutes. This remedy can be done once a day.
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has acids that are good to kill bacteria from the body. You can apply ACV on your armpits or on the other body parts with the help of a cotton ball. No need to rinse.
Fennel seeds include laxatives that help in preventing body odor. You just need 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds, 1 cup water, and honey if you want to. Now, add crushed fennel seeds into a cup, allow it to boil, and strain the mixture and enjoy it. Have it once a day to reduce body odor.
Rosewater has astringent properties in it which help to reduce the size of the pores and also prevent sweat with a soothing fragrance. You can mix 3 tablespoons of rosewater with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle, and spray it on underarms or other body parts to reduce body odor.
Neem is antifungal and antibacterial in nature, which helps in getting rid of extra toxins from the body. Take a handful of neem leaves to grind it and make a fine paste. Then, apply this paste to your underarm area and let it dry. Wash off with lukewarm water.
Fenugreek has antibacterial properties that help in reducing bacterial infection in the body. Take 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and 250ml of water, now add fenugreek seeds into water and bring it to boil till the quantity of water remains half. You can drink this on an empty stomach every morning.
Green tea has antioxidants that keep toxins away from the body. Regular consumption of green tea will help you to get rid of body odor. Else, you can simply boil water add green tea leaves, extract the water and spray the water on the sweat-prone area of your body.
Lemon has acidic properties that balance the pH level of the body. Just cut the lemon in half and rub it directly on your underarms. If you have sensitive skin you can mix lemon juice with water and then, apply it on underarms.
Tomato can be used as an astringent which helps in minimizing pore size and reducing sweat formation. Fill your bathtub with warm water add tomato juice to it. Further, soak in the bath for around 20 minutes.
Rubbing alcohol has antibacterial properties, which help in eliminating bacteria or germs from the body. Take a few drops of rubbing alcohol on the cotton pads and apply them to your underarms.
Cornstarch helps in keeping skin dry and which leads to maintaining the moisture level of the body. You can dust some cornstarch powder on underarms or other body parts.
Parsley includes chlorophyll which reduces body odor. Add 1 teaspoon of parsley leaves into 1 cup water. Boil it for 5 minutes strain and drink it.